Sunday 20 July 2014

Is it is mosque or a temple or a gurudwara?

When I initially looked at this structure in Farrukhnagar from a back lane I thought it must be a mosque and that also at least from the pre-partition days.

A Mosque like structure, Farrukhnagar

So I decided to have a look at it. When I entered the lane from the front of this building I was astonished to see the gate at its compound proclaiming it to be Sita Ram Mandir (temple). Though the gate of the premises was open but the entry to the main structure was closed. So I made some efforts to track down the caretaker of the place which turned out to be the Pujari (Hindu priest) of the said temple. He first refused to open it as he said it opens only in the morning and evening but after some persuasion agreed to open it. While entering I just rang the huge bell hanging at the entrance which offended the priest who kind of scolded me for doing so. When I asked the reason he said that afternoon is the time when the gods are sleeping and by ringing the bell I am disturbing them! I wondered if the gods sleep at particular time and people know of it then they would commit all kinds of offenses (in the eye of the god) during that period to get away from persecution from god!

Gate proclaiming it to be Sita Ram temple


Anyhow, when I went inside I was further astonished to see that the place of worship was not only for the Hindus but for the Sikhs as well as in one corner there was a Guru Granth Sahib (Holy book of the Sikhs). So it was a place of worship for two communities. There are though very few Sikhs living in Farrukhnagar.

Temple priest and the temple 

What I can make out is that it must have been a mosque before the partition and after that the dominant Muslim community left Farrukhnagar and people converted it to a temple cum Gurudwara. Of course we all know that the Indian partition was a bloodied affair with lot of persons from both (or rather three) communities being (forcefully) converted to another religion on both sides of the border and I am assuming the same happened in the case of buildings also on both sides of the border.

Sikh Holy Book inside the temple, Farrukhnagar

Also read:
Ali Gosh Khan Baoli in Farrukhnagar
Sheesh Mahal, Farrukhnagar
Sethani Ki Chattri
The Gates of Farrukhnagar - Dilli Dawaza & Jhajjar Darwaza

No comments: